1 Tim 4:8

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 1Tim4:8

Sep 19, 2011

Settling Nerves by Dathan Ritzenhein

Settling Nerves

by Dathan Ritzenhein | Sep 17, 2011 |

With the high school cross country season winding up I wanted to give some advice on how to deal with one of the biggest challenges kids face when it comes to racing, nerves. In traveling the past month to Nike Spike Nights and Aim High Running Camp, I was asked a few times how I deal with anxiety before a race. This is a problem every one faces and I can tell you, nerves never go away. It is all about controlling them and using them in a positive way to help you run better.

I am just like anyone else and have had to battle the pre-race jitters as well, and I haven’t always had them under control. I have got to the point in my running career where I can manage them much better but it is something I still need to work on at all times because they can get worse. Conquering nerves is part of a whole pshycological game plan. It does not matter if you are in great shape or not, whether it is early in the season or at the national championships; there is always going to be something to worry about. Making sure you address your concerns early on is a key part. Think of the things that you are worried about, mileage, finishing kick, sleep etc. If you start working on those areas and addressing any problem, you will be in control of those challenges and know you did all you can to be ready.

This doesn’t mean that you won’t have problems, but at least you can focus on the things you can control. We can’t control weather, how good other teams are, and a million other obstacles. Instead of focusing on those things, try to work on a checklist of your own making and you won’t be so distracted by things you can’t influence.

This is something that has served me well in so many races. I have had many times when my nerves got the best of me and I wasn’t my best and didn’t enjoy races as much. When I won the 2003 NCAA Cross Country Championships I was a nervous wreck. I managed to win but I was anything but calm. I got so focused on the other competition, expectations, the weather and about everything else. I was second guessing everything and I almost cracked under the pressure. I contrast that when I ran the American Record or won bronze at the World Half Marathon and it was a completely different story. I was not thinking of anything except competing, almost like having tunnel vision.

So focus on the things in your control!

No comments: